Professional Accounts (2 hours)
Download and install the following software or register for the apps.
Click on the links to go to the registration pages. Keep your login details for all sites/apps consistent and always use your real name.
Gmail, Google Account
Make a new Google account if you do not have a professional one already. Use your real name. Don’t use any numbers or words that are not your name. Never put the year of your birth in your professional email address. Your email address should look something like this:
This is your public professional email address. Use it to sign up for all your professional accounts unless you can use your GitHub.
- I have made a professional Google account and Gmail address.
- I have explored the Google Suite, such as calendar, docs and spreadsheets.
Google Chrome is the first browser we will all use together.
- I have downloaded and installed Google Chrome.
- I have logged into my professional profile on Chrome.
Use your professional Chrome profile for all your CYF work. You will often have to share your screen during class, so keep your personal internet use private and away from your professional profile.
Sign up for LinkedIn. LinkedIn is the largest professional social network. You will use it to help you get a job and to advance your career.
Make a LinkedIn account. Use your real name. Sign in with Google. Connect with your cohort.
Your cohort is your first network, and this is one of the most valuable things you can develop at Code Your Future. A strong, tightly linked, professional network is a powerful asset, so begin building it today.
- I have made a LinkedIn account using my professional email address.
- I have used my real name.
- I have connected with my cohort.
- I am following CodeYourFuture.
Slack is our community space and how we communicate with each other. Download and install it now.
- I have downloaded the Slack app on my computer and phone.
- I have logged in to the Code Your Future Intro to Coding Workspace.
- I have found and joined my class channels.
- I have updated my profile with my picture, my professional email address, my GitHub username, my Linkedin profile and my class.
- I have posted something on my cohort channel.
We use Zoom for remote sessions. Install it now.
- I have downloaded and installed Zoom onto my computer.
Code.org is a website aimed at helping people learn computer science. You will be doing one of their courses. Register an account now.
- I have signed up for code.org.
In ITD, you wrote code in Codepen - an online Integrated Development Environment (IDE). This was really useful, we can save code there and see what it does.
Now you will use Visual Studio Code (VSCode), a professional IDE you will use at work.
Download and install VSCode - you will be using it in this course.