🧰 Check your setup
- You must have a UNIX operating system (MacOS or Linux). Don’t use Windows.
- You must have VSCode installed. Don’t use another editor.
- You must have the CYF VS Code extension pack installed and Prettier enabled. Don’t use another formatter.
🧹 Linting and formatting
Using a shared formatting convention makes sure your “diffs” ( differences between the codebase and your changes) only show the code you intentionally wrote, and not a bunch of spaces or tabs. It will also help you read your own code as you work on it.
VS Code format on save
- In Visual Studio open the settings file (Code > Preferences > Settings)
- Search for editor format
- Set the “Default Formatter” to be Prettier
- In your editor, write some html and save the file. It should be formatted (indented) automatically.
Ask for help on main Slack if you are having trouble with Prettier. If a group of you are blocked by this, schedule thirty minutes of your class study time to set this up together.
Your pull requests may be automatically rejected if your code is not formatted and linted.