Reminder about SMART goals
🎯 Goal: Remind yourself how SMART goals are written (10 minutes)The SMART in SMART goals stands for Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant, and Time-Bound. Search this curriculum for “SMART” to help you write your goals.
Learn what the Portfolio Module criteria is
🎯 Goal: Understand the goals you need to achieve (10 minutes)
Goals in Portfolio
Develop your technical skills continuously
- Deliver and demo 2 tech projects following agile practices and testing, where at least 1 project is completed in a team
- Deploy a personal portfolio website during the employability module showcasing your projects.
Construct a holistic approach to job hunting
- Create a profile (Linkedin, Github, CV and Cover Letter) which demonstrates the skills and experience following the CYF best practices.
Deliver on your job hunting approach by effectively applying to appropriate job opportunities
- Find and share eight job openings that are suitable for CYF grads and are not recruitment agencies.
- Apply to at least 2 “good” jobs per week with a CV tailored to those opportunities
- Keep track of the job application progress in the grad tracker.
Review your weekly activities and availability
🎯 Goal: Understand your real availability to focus on becoming a developer (15 minutes)
Identify your weekly activities and availability by completing the ‘Plan your life as a Developer’ coursework.
This will help you to understand what kind of goals you can realistically achieve and if you need to make any changes to your calendar.
Create your own SMART goals
🎯 Goal: Have a clear set of goals to be achieved during the Portfolio module (15 minutes)
Considering what you re-read about SMART goals and about the Portfolio Goals, create your own set of 3 SMART goals
These goals should cover:
- Technical development
- Job hunting
We’re going to start off by defining rules and expectations for working on projects during this module.
📐 Ground rules
- We go together
- Do one project at a time
- We will put in the time - 25 hours
- We start a new project when everyone has finished the current one
- We can work as individuals or in groups
- “Done” means “Good enough to show an employer”
- 1 great user story is better than 10 meh user stories
- Post a link to your deployed application by midnight at the end of every Thursday
- If everyone is ~done, we’ll start a new project on Saturday
- If you’re not done, LIST YOUR QUESTIONS AND BLOCKERS
- But don’t wait until Thursday to get help
- We are flexible to people’s needs: but you must express your needs